By The Hill Staff - 04/09/13 12:18 AM EDT
• BEVERAGES. The beer giant Anheuser-Busch Companies Inc. has added lobbying help as it tries to acquire the producer of Corona and other popular beer brands. The company has hired Peck Madigan Jones to lobby on “education surrounding the Grupo Modelo purchase,” according to lobbying disclosure records. Jeff Peck, former staff director for the Senate Judiciary Committee, and Sean Richardson, once chief of staff for Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), are lobbying for the company.
• ENERGY. Brewer Science Inc. has signed up with Banner Public Affairs to lobby on “secure supply issues, microelectronics, rapid innovation; solar energy issues; Defense authorization and appropriations.” Brett Thompson and Jesse Appleton, who served as legislative assistants for former Sen. Jim Talent (R-Mo.), are lobbying for the company, which makes materials for tablet computers, smartphones and LED lighting.
• RETAIL. Former Sen. Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.) has registered her first lobbying client at Alston & Bird. Lincoln and Robert Holifield, her former aide who also has worked at the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, are lobbying for Wal-Mart on “matters of importance to the retail industry.”
• TECHNOLOGY. NextNav has hired Navigators Global to lobby on “issues related to the FCC and indoor location and positioning technology.” The company is based in McLean, Va., and produces an alternative to GPS technology. Philmore Anderson, once a special assistant to Vice President Dan Quayle, and Danielle Burr, a former whip liaison for ex-Sen. Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.), are working on the account.
• TRANSPORTATION. Toyota has bolstered its lobbying force, hiring Heather Podesta + Partners. The firm’s lobbyists — which include Benjamin Klein, once legislative director for ex-Sen. Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.), and Podesta, former counsel to the late Rep. Robert Matsui (D-Calif.) — are working on “automotive industry issues.” The auto company parted ways with The Glover Park Group, another lobbying shop, at the end of last year.