By The Hill Staff - 07/27/10 11:48 PM EDT
• Foley Hoag has hired Connie Garner and Stacey Sachs. Garner was policy director for the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, while Sachs was health counsel for the panel. Garner will be a policy director of the firm’s government strategies practice; Sachs will be a senior health policy specialist. Both will work out of the firm’s Washington office. Before working on Capitol Hill, Garner was a senior policy analyst at the Department of Education and is a certified nurse practitioner. Sachs previously worked in the Social Security Administration’s Office of the Chief Administrative Law Judge.
• The American Red Cross has named Karen Quarles director of federal relations. She is deputy director in the Washington office of California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R). Before that, Quarles was a deputy assistant secretary for legislative and congressional affairs in the Education Department. She also was a special assistant at the Office of Personnel Management and legislative director for Rep. Buck McKeon (R-Calif.).
• Julia Wanzco Lawless has joined Story Partners as a director in the Washington office. Lawless was press secretary for Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine). Before that, she was communications director to former Rep. Phil English (R-Pa.) and northeast regional communications leader for the House Republican Conference.
• De’Ana Dow has joined Ogilvy Government Relations. She has worked for the CME Group, a derivatives exchange, and the New York Mercantile Exchange. She was counsel to the Commodity Futures Trading Commission to chairmen during both the Clinton and Bush administrations. She also worked for former Sen. Walter Huddleston (D-Ky.).
• Timothy P. Lynch has joined Morgan Lewis as the new senior director of its Washington government relations and public policy practice. Lynch was vice president and chief lobbyist for the American Trucking Association. He also worked for Roadway Services and the Motor Freight Carriers Association.
• Allison M. Patti has joined the Center for Audit Quality as its new senior director of professional practice, policy and research. Patti was a partner at Deloitte LLP and a former professional accounting fellow in the Office of the Chief Accountant at the Securities and Exchange Commission.