By The Hill Staff - 12/08/10 12:15 AM EST
• Billy Piper will join Fierce, Isakowitz & Blalock as a senior vice president next January. Piper was chief of staff to Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.). Piper first joined McConnell’s office in 1991 and has worked in several senior positions for the Senate Republican leader, including a stint as senior legislative assistant. He has served as McConnell’s chief of staff since 2002.
• Kimberly H. Colton has joined the Sheridan Group as a senior policy/advocacy associate. Colton was deputy chief of staff to retiring Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D-R.I.). She worked for Kennedy for more than 10 years, holding several positions, including legislative assistant and legislative director.
• Justin Brookman has joined the Center for Democracy & Technology as director of its Project on Consumer Privacy. Brookman is the former chief of the Internet Bureau for New York’s attorney general. He also worked for six years as a litigation associate at Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson in the firm’s New York and Washington offices.
• Mark Putnam is creating a new political media firm, Putnam Partners. He is leaving Murphy Putnam Media to create the firm. Putnam worked on President Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign, producing several television ads, including his 30-minute special. Putnam has produced political ads for several Democrats, including Sens. Mark Begich (Alaska) and Bob Casey Jr. (Pa.) and Reps. Barney Frank (Mass.) and Mark Critz (Pa.). Joining Putnam at his new firm will be Philip de Vellis and Jim Duffy, who both used to work at Murphy Putnam Media.
• James F. Miller joins DLA Piper as a partner in the firm’s federal affairs practice in Washington. He comes to the firm from Winston & Strawn. Miller represents clients before congressional investigatory committees, such as the House Government and Oversight Committee and the Senate Subcommittee on Permanent Investigations and represents foreign clients before the State Department and government-lending institutions.
• Stephanie Kanwit has joined Manatt, Phelps & Phillips as counsel in the firm’s healthcare practice group in its Washington office. Kanwit most recently was special counsel to America’s Health Insurance Plans. Before that, she was general counsel and senior vice president of public policy and research at the American Association of Health Plans and was a vice president for Aetna. Kanwit also was a regional director for the Federal Trade Commission for four years.