By The Hill Staff - 12/02/13 07:49 PM EST
• ANIMALS. A top K Street firm is taking the bald eagle under its wing. Peck Madigan Jones has been hired by the National Audubon Society to lobby on the “Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act,” according to lobbying disclosure records. Jonathon Jones, Sen. Tom Carper’s (D-Del.) former chief of staff; Shelia Murphy, once a top aide to several Democratic senators; and Sean Richardson, ex-chief of staff for Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) will be representing the environmental group.
• CLEAN AIR & WATER. The California Department of Water Resources has signed up with Van Scoyoc Associates to lobby on flood control. The lobbyists on the account include Laura Morgan, a former aide to Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.); Justin Perkins, once a Senate Rules Committee aide; and Thane Young.
• HEALTHCARE. King & Spalding has been hired by Amarin Pharma Inc., based in Bedminster, N.J., to lobby on “issues related to patient access to emerging heart disease medications.” Daniel Donovan, a former aide to several Senate committees, and Claudia Hrvatin, once a legislative director for former Rep. Chris Cannon (R-Utah), are among the lobbyists on the account.
• MARITIME. K&L Gates is representing Trojan Technologies and Calgon Carbon Corporation. Lobbyist James Sartucci, a former legislative director for ex-Sen. Trent Lott (R-Miss.), is working on “U.S. Coast Guard ballast water treatment regulations” for both companies.
• TOBACCO. Cigar makers are fighting back against looming regulations from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The Small Business Cigar Coalition, made up of more than a dozen companies, has contracted with Alston & Bird to lobby on “tax reform and excise tax issues impacting small cigar companies” and “FDA issues involving the regulation of cigars and other tobacco products.” The lobbying blitz comes as FDA is crafting regulations that, for the first time, would bring cigars under the same federal oversight as other tobacco products.