By The Hill Staff - 04/24/12 11:55 PM EDT
• Bill Thorne will become the National Retail Federation’s senior vice president of communications and public affairs on June 1. Thorne leaves Wal-Mart Corp., where he is the senior director of community affairs. Before joining Wal-Mart, he worked for DCI Group as vice president and for the American Medical Association as director of political and legislative grass roots.
• John Thorne has joined Bergeson & Campbell as a senior government affairs counsel. Thorne previously worked for Crowell & Moring as a senior public policy adviser. Before that, he was the founder and general manager of Capitolink and a research scientist group leader at DuPont.
• Thomas Maguire has moved to the Roosevelt Group to be a senior adviser. Maguire most recently worked as a senior facilitator on the Northcom joint task force commander course. He also served in New York as the senior military official on Sept. 11, 2001, and is a retired major general.
• The Business Software Alliance announced plans to realign its operations into two units, one focusing on advocacy and the other on combating software piracy. Former vice president of communications Matt Reid will have the new title of senior vice president of external affairs, focusing on the global advocacy operation. Katherine McGuire will remain vice president of government relations. General counsel Jodie Kelley will expand her role to become the senior vice president of anti-piracy.
• James Gould, Thomas Dwyer and Tucker Shumack have started the new lobbying firm GDS Strategies. Gould worked for the Senate Finance Committee for five years under Sen. Lloyd Bentsen (D-Texas), holding the positions of staff director, chief counsel and chief tax counsel. Dwyer worked as a tax and banking counsel to Sen. John Danforth (R-Mo.). Shumack worked for Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) as tax and finance counsel.