• Former federal attorney Charles F. “Chuck” Connolly has joined Akin
Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld as a partner in its Washington litigation
practice. Prior to that, he was the head of the financial crimes and
public corruption unit at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern
District of Virginia, and also held several roles in the Justice
Department. At Akin, Connolly will counsel clients facing fraud and
public corruption allegations.
• Breakaway Policy Strategies added Richard I. Smith and Gina M. Boscarino to its senior leadership team. Smith, who comes from the Pharmaceutical Researchers and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), will serve as executive vice president of the firm. Boscarino, a former legal counsel to a Blue Cross Blue Shield affiliate, will become Breakaway’s senior policy director. The two will focus on providing clients with help navigating the new healthcare law.
• McBee Strategic Consulting hired Elizabeth Northrup as an executive vice president in its communications arm, McBee|Gibraltar. She joins from Hill + Knowlton Strategies, where she most recently handled the firm’s account for America’s Natural Gas Alliance. Earlier this year, McBee Strategic merged with Gibraltar Associates, and Northrup’s hire is part of an expansion of a new digital team, the firm said.
• Rich Davis joined DLA Piper and will serve as a partner in the firm’s corporate and finance practice in its Washington office. He previously worked as a partner at Ashurst, an international law firm.
• Equifax Inc. has formed a strategic partnership with Operation HOPE, a nonprofit that extends financial assistance to underserved communities. The company’s chairman and chief executive, Richard F. Smith, will join Operation HOPE’s board of directors as part of the multi-year deal. Trey Loughran, Equifax’s personal solutions president, will join Operation HOPE’s Southeastern Board.