By The Hill Staff - 09/24/13 11:51 PM EDT
• Lobby firm Venn Strategies hired Capitol Hill veteran Erik Olson as a principal. He recently departed from the Hill after 14 years, most recently serving as the chief of staff to Rep. Ron KindRon KindLawmakers, small businesses praise employee stock ownership plans Bipartisan bill would cement IRS Free File program Bottom Line MORE (D-Wis.), a senior member of the House Ways and Means Committee.
• The National Rural Electric Cooperative Association promoted Rich Meyer to become its senior vice president and general counsel. He has been working for years as the group’s senior regulatory counsel. Meyer has also held posts in the private and public sectors.
• Cassidy & Associates brought on former Rep. James K. Coyne (R-Pa.) as its director of business development. Coyne comes from leading the National Air Transportation Association. In his new role at Cassidy, he will bolster its “business strategies by including public policy protection as well as traditional lobbying solutions.”
• The National Urban League added three new legislative directors and one broadband and technology fellow to its policy office in Washington: Susie Saavedra, Kyle R. Williams, Hazeen Y. Ashby and Sean Mickens. Saavedra will focus on health and education, while Williams will specialize in financial and housing policy. Ashby will work on telecommunications, immigration and civic engagement issues.
• Bridget Hagan has joined Cypress Group as a principal. She worked at Nationwide Insurance for more than a decade — most recently serving as a vice president and counsel of the federal government relations department.
• Karen Nussle and Michele Woodward are joining forces to enhance Ripple Communications, a strategic communications firm. Nussle launched the firm in 2005 and opened a Washington office in 2008. Prior to that, she was a lobbyist at BKSH & Associates, now known as Prime Policy Group, and senior staffer to former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.). Woodward, a veteran of the Reagan White House, coaches senior executives and boards and founded her own practice in 2004.