By The Hill Staff - 02/03/09 06:22 PM EST
• Jeff Berman has joined Bryan Cave. Berman will work in the firm’s public policy and governmental affairs group in its Washington office. He served as the national delegate director for President Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign. Berman previously was an adviser to former House Democratic Leader Dick Gephardt (Mo.) from 1987 to 2004 and had formal roles in his 1988 and 2004 presidential campaigns.
• Ryan Guthrie has joined the Bockorny Group as its new vice president. Guthrie worked for Rep. Baron Hill (D-Ind.), mostly recently as his chief of staff.
• Joe Wall has joined the Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America as its new senior director of federal government affairs. Wall was a deputy assistant for legislative affairs to then-Vice President Dick Cheney. He also worked on former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney’s (R) 2008 presidential campaign as assistant national field director and was a floor assistant for Rep. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) when he was House majority whip.
• John F. Sopko has joined Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld as a partner in its Washington office. Sopko will concentrate on congressional and federal investigations as a senior member of the firm’s public law and policy practice. He was a senior adviser to Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.), the former chairman of the House and Energy Commerce Committee, and supervised several investigations into drug and food supplies, energy pricing and speculation and consumer product safety.
• Thomas Phan has been hired by the Healthcare Distribution Management Association as its new director of healthcare policy. Phan worked for the Senate Special Committee on Aging under its former ranking minority member, Sen. Gordon Smith (R-Ore.). He also was a policy coordinator and a legislative analyst at the Department of Health and Human Services.
• Kristin Bass has joined the Pharmaceutical Care Management Association as its new senior vice president of policy. Prior to joining the trade group, Bass was the healthcare adviser for Sen. Chuck GrassleyChuck GrassleyDemocrats pounce on Cruz's Supreme Court comments Cruz: Precedent exists for keeping Supreme Court short-staffed Sanders to Justice Department: Block AT&T purchase of Time Warner MORE (R-Iowa), ranking member on the Senate Finance Committee.