By The Hill Staff - 01/20/10 12:49 AM EST
• Phillip Carter is returning to McKenna Long & Aldridge as an associate. Carter was a policy adviser to President Barack Obama’s 2008 campaign and later served as its national veterans director. In the administration, he served as deputy assistant secretary of Defense for detainee affairs. He also has nine years of military service in the U.S. Army.
• Carl J. Nichols has joined WilmerHale as a partner in its litigation/controversy and regulatory and government affairs departments. He was most recently the principal deputy associate attorney general at the Justice Department and previously served as the deputy assistant attorney general for the federal programs branch for the department’s civil division.
• Howard Schweitzer has joined Cozen O’Connor as a member of its Washington office. Schweitzer was the chief operating officer for the Troubled Asset Relief Program at the Treasury Department. Before that, he worked at the U.S. Export-Import Bank.
• Jill Hazelbaker is heading to Google to lead its corporate communications. She was the head of communications for Sen. John McCain’s (R-Ariz.) 2008 presidential campaign and most recently worked on New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s reelection campaign.
• Eric Schnure been hired by the Dewey Square Group as a principal in its communications practice. Schnure began his career as a speechwriter for then-Vice President Al Gore in 1993. He has since worked as a consultant to top elected officials, Fortune 100 corporations and nonprofit groups.