By The Hill Staff - 03/03/10 12:04 AM EST
• Susan C. Schwab has joined Mayer Brown. She is a former United States Trade Representative (USTR) as well as deputy USTR who served during the second term of the George W. Bush administration. She is currently a professor at the University of Maryland School of Public Policy.
• Damon G. Munchus has been hired by the Cypress Group. Munchus served as the deputy assistant secretary for banking and finance in the Office of Legislative Affairs at the Treasury Department during the Obama administration. He was also part of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation review transition team for the White House. Before that, Munchus worked as a vice president for Jefferies and Co. and as a senior financial analyst at Fannie Mae.
• Powell A. Moore has joined Venable as a senior adviser in the firm’s government affairs practice. Moore is Washington veteran who began his career here on the staff of then-Sen. Richard Russell (D-Ga.). He has served as assistant secretary of Defense for legislative affairs in the George W. Bush administration and was tapped in 2006 to work as the Defense secretary’s representative to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe. Moore was also chief of staff for former Sen. Fred Thompson (R-Tenn.).
• David Lynch has been hired by the Independent Community Bankers of America as vice president of congressional relations. Before joining the trade association, he worked as senior director of congressional relations for Freddie Mac. Lynch also spent more than a decade with the National Association of Realtors.
• James F.M. Williams has joined Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal as senior managing director of the law firm’s public law and policy strategies group. Williams is the former senior political adviser to Carl Icahn, whom he will continue to advise. He has also served as a senior policy adviser to then-Sen. Joe Biden (D-Del.), as senior adviser to Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and as senior economic policy adviser to Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.).
• Alston & Bird has hired Christina A. LaVera and Martin A. Hewitt as counsels to its financial services and products group. LaVera will work in the firm’s Washington office, while Hewitt has joined its New York office. LaVera has served as associate general counsel to both Sallie Mae and E*TRADE Financial Corp. and has worked at several law firms, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom and Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw. Hewitt also has worked for several law firms, including Lowenstein Sandler, Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft and Simpson Thacher & Bartlett.