White House cancels Latina festival out of respect for shooting victims

"In light of today’s tragic events at the Washington Navy Yard and out of respect for the victims and their families, Musica Latina will be postponed to a new date," the White House announced Monday evening about two hours before the event was scheduled to begin.

ADVERTISEMENT
Natalie Cole, Lila Downs, Price Royce, Arturo Sandoval, Raul Malo, Romeo Santos and Marco Antonio Solis were set to perform.

The event was to be taped for the PBS series "In Performance at the White House."

In his afternoon briefing on Monday, White House press secretary Jay Carney defended the decision to press on with an event marking the fifth anniversary of the 2008 financial crisis amid the developing situation at the Washington Navy Yard. He called President Obama's remarks "entirely appropriate."

Earlier in the day, Michelle Obama hosted an educational workshop with students and some of the performers at the White House.

She complimented their Latina culture, saying "you can’t help but move to the music — even the President, you will see tonight, will shake his groove thing every now and then."

The first lady often holds student workshops with artists scheduled to perform at the White House.

She told the students Monday that they were more fun than the party with "a bunch of rich people and fancy people."

"Whenever we have musicians or artists or movie stars come here to perform — which these folks will be doing this evening for a bunch of rich people and fancy people and all of that, right — the most fun is when we invite young people like all of you here during the day so that you get a chance to talk to these folks and learn from them," she said.