By The Hill Staff - 10/12/05 12:00 AM EDT
• BANKRUPTCY. The Financial Services Roundtable, which represents the largest financial-services companies in the United States, has hired Winston & Strawn to lobby on bankruptcy reform. John McMickle, a former Judiciary Committee counsel for Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), is lobbying on behalf of the Roundtable, according to politicalmoneyline.com.
•BUDGET. Adams & Reese is lobbying on behalf of Unite, a coalition of companies that is researching unmanned aerial-vehicle technology.
• EDUCATION. Edison Schools, an effort to build for-profit K-12 schools, has hired Blank Rome Government Relations. Edison is seeking the reauthorization of No Child Left Behind, the administration’s education initiative. The lobbyists working the account include Heather Podesta, a former legislative counsel to the late Rep. Robert Matsui (D-Calif.).
Ohio University has hired Patton Boggs to win federal support of university projects. The firm is also seeking federal appropriations for The Citadel.
• ENERGY. Weaver’s Cove Energy, which imports liquefied natural gas (LNG), has hired Baker Botts to lobby in support of LNG projects.
Entergy Corp., the New Orleans-based utility hit hard by Hurricane Katrina, has hired Ryan Phillips Utrecht & MacKinnon. Rodney Hoppe, the former Republican press secretary for the House Committee on Commerce, is lobbying for the utility, according to lobbying registrations.
Adams & Reese is lobbying for disaster relief for Cleco Corp., another utility damaged by Katrina.
Meanwhile, Delta Petroleum Corp., an oil company, has hired Brownstein Hyatt & Farber to lobby on its behalf.
• FINANCE. The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants has hired the Ashcroft Group, founded by former Attorney General John Ashcroft, to lobby on its behalf.
• HUMAN RIGHTS. M+R Strategic Services has been hired by the Save Darfur Coalition to do media and grassroots lobbying work. Peter Loge, who is a former deputy chief of staff to Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.), and Matthew Slutsky, who worked on Sen. John Kerry’s presidential campaign, are directing the effort.
• TRADE. BAE Systems North America, part of a British aerospace and defense group, has hired Covington & Burling to help facilitate trade between the United States and the United Kingdom, according to the lobbying registration.