If you'd like to subscribe to The Hill's midday political newsletter, please click here: http://bit.ly/1lsUchu
The Hill's 12:30 Report: Michigan gov, EPA chief testify on Flint | Lawmakers' March Madness picks | Black Lives Matter backs Apple in FBI fight | Rubio returns to Senate
THAT'S A ROUGH ADMISSION: Via The Hill's Timothy Cama, In a rare congressional appearance from a sitting governor, Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder (R) told House lawmakers he feels remorse for his role in causing the contamination of Flint's drinking water with lead and other pollutants. "Let me be blunt. This was a failure of government at all levels," Snyder told the House Oversight Committee. "Local, state and federal officials -- we all failed the families of Flint." Also, the chairman of the House Oversight Committee urged Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Gina McCarthyGina McCarthyTrump's pick for EPA chief could clean up Obama mess An opportunity to return balance to energy policy Why Trump needs a strong Agriculture secretary MORE, also testifying, to resign over the water crisis. http://bit.ly/1pqcIJ7
-- He added that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnellMitch McConnellSenate passes stopgap funding bill, averting shutdown Senate advances funding measure, avoiding shutdown President Obama should curb mass incarceration with clemency MORE (R-Ky.) would probably agree that many of Trump's policy proposals are inconsistent with Republican values. http://bit.ly/1Wt9UGb
PELOSI: Other notable moments: House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) told The Hill's Bob Cusack, discussing the GOP presidential debates: "I've never seen a debate that's so void of fact," and that "Republican [presidential] candidates are a reflection of the Republicans in Congress -- not Republicans in the country."
FULL EVENT VIDEO: http://bit.ly/1pNXgXC
DEVELOPING NOW – EXPLOSION AT THE NATIONAL ZOO: Via WJLA-TV, An explosion occurred on the American Trail at the Smithsonian's National Zoo this morning. No animals, visitors or staff were injured – and The D.C. Fire Department is investigating. http://bit.ly/21x3iHV
Top o' the morning to you, lads, and happy St. Patrick's Day! I'm Cate O'Martel (sorry, I had to) with an Irish-themed recap of what you missed this morning -- and what's 'on tap' for the rest of the day. Send comments, story ideas and Irish soda bread (yes, literal soda bread would be great) ;) to email@example.com, @CateMartel and on Facebook.
AN UNLIKELY ALLIANCE: Via The Hill's Cory Bennett, the Black Lives Matter movement is lining up behind Apple in its fight with the FBI. Back story: Rev. Jesse Jackson and other civil rights activists have met with Apple officials about the court order forcing Apple to unlock an iPhone belonging to one of the San Bernardino shooters. Why BLM is getting involved: They believe the cases touch on concerns about police brutality and illegal surveillance of activists. http://bit.ly/1LsubLp
GARLAND'S HOPING FOR SOME LUCK O' THE IRISH: Via The Hill's Alex Bolton, now that President Obama has tapped Merrick Garland for the Supreme Court, the election-year nomination fight has commenced. What has happened so far: Senate Republicans immediately ruled out any action on Garland. Except... Seven GOP senators said they were willing to meet with Garland, including Mark Kirk (Ill.), Rob PortmanRob PortmanSenators to Trump: Get tough on Russia over Ukraine John Glenn dies at 95 John Glenn hospitalized MORE (Ohio) and Kelly AyotteKelly AyotteDem senator tears up in farewell speech Juan Williams: McConnell won big by blocking Obama Battle brews over Trump’s foreign policy MORE (N.H.), who are each facing tough reelection races. http://bit.ly/1SVmWxa
And here's why Obama picked Garland: Think: He played it safe http://bit.ly/256akrU
Tweet from The Hill's Alex Bolton: Reid says "of course it's possible" that Garland could be confirmed in the lame duck but adds it would set a bad precedent. http://bit.ly/1XxIxLe
ABOUT THAT BUDGET...: Via The Hill's Sarah Ferris, who was in the room, the House budget panel easily cleared its 2017 spending blueprint last night, despite a conservative rebellion that still threatens the bill's fate. How so: All but two Republicans on the House Budget Committee voted to send the bill to the floor. But don't get too excited: When it hits the House floor, it's likely doomed because of resistance from fiscal hawks. http://bit.ly/1MayJWT
RUBIO IN DA HOUSE... I MEAN, SENATE: Sen. Marco RubioMarco RubioSenate clears water bill with Flint aid, drought relief What Trump's Cabinet picks reveal House passes water bill with Flint aid, drought relief MORE (R-Fla.) returned to the Senate today after ending his presidential campaign. Alex Burgos, a spokesman for Rubio, posted a video of the senator walking in the Russell Office building, adding that "Senate staff welcomed him back to the office." The video shows Rubio's staff clapping as he walked toward his office. Watch: http://bit.ly/1Mprrcw
AN IRISH TIDBIT: Via The Washington Post's Peter Whoriskey, a man's discovery of bones under a pub in Ireland could forever change what we know about the Irish. http://wapo.st/1TQW42k
• President Obama has picked Kansas to win March Madness. Full bracket: http://1.usa.gov/22nnHFf
• Speaker Paul RyanPaul RyanPresident Obama should curb mass incarceration with clemency Senators move to protect 'Dreamers' Cruz, DeSantis to introduce constitutional amendment on term limits MORE (R-Wis.) has picked Michigan State University. http://1.usa.gov/1pq4HE1
• Sen. John ThuneJohn ThuneOvernight Tech: Last-ditch effort to get Dem FCC commish confirmed | Facebook's Sandberg on fake news | Microsoft completes LinkedIn deal FCC chairman willing to resign to get colleague confirmed Overnight Tech: AT&T, Time Warner CEOs defend merger before Congress | More tech execs join Trump team | Republican details path to undoing net neutrality MORE (R-S.D.) is deciding between Iowa and Temple. Full bracket: http://bit.ly/1R5FBBN
• Rep. Luke Messer (R-Ind.) has Michigan State winning. Full bracket: http://bit.ly/1R0Jdai
• Sen. Tim KaineTim KaineGOP eyes big gamble on ObamaCare Senate Democrats dig in as shutdown approaches Clinton reappears on Capitol Hill for Reid send-off MORE (D-Va.) has chosen the University of Virginia. Makes sense. Full bracket: http://bit.ly/1R5JYg3
• Rep. Scott Perry (R-Pa.) has Villanova winning. Full bracket: http://bit.ly/21wT6za
• Gov. Rick Scott (R-Fla.) has picked the University of Miami. Also, duh. Full bracket: http://pbpo.st/1U9oAwt
• Rep. David Price (D-N.C.) can't decide between Duke and the University of North Carolina, so he's going to root for "the team in blue." Well, that's diplomatic. Full bracket: http://bit.ly/1MpfbZs
• Sen. Gary Peters (D-Mich.) won't reveal but said he'll post his pick later today. Boo, no fun. http://bit.ly/1nR5EEi
• Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) has chosen The University of Maryland. http://bit.ly/1XxTNXT
• Rep. Jeff Denham (R-Calif.) chose Michigan State. http://bit.ly/1Wtq1TY
• Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich.) picked The University of Kentucky. Full bracket: http://bit.ly/1Pe8RnI
• Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) has the University of North Carolina winning. http://bit.ly/1RoQvSl
Shawn McCoy of Inside Sources (He then tweeted this article a few minutes later. This tweet has been destroyed on Twitter.)
DC RESIDENTS: Do not drink your tap water. Story breaking soon.
The Hill's Timothy Cama
Looks like this is on the House side ... http://bit.ly/1S5fLAe
Politico's Burgess Everett
Reid says he'll take plenty of questions. "We have a lot of time to do nothing in the Senate' http://bit.ly/256ls87
The Huffington Post's Jennifer Bendery retweeted adding: Reid, retiring and agitated: ¯\_(")_/¯ http://bit.ly/1VfBjNo
Rep. Todd Rokita (R-Ind.) (awww!)
#ThrowbackThursday to when [Butler University's mascot] Butler Blue visited my DC office. http://bit.ly/1MaRxFj
Most candidates are having a light day today after Super Tuesday 3.0. Bernie SandersBernie SandersDemocrats: Where the hell are You? Sanders on Trump pick: This is how a rigged economy works Trump picks Goldman Sachs chief for top economic adviser: report MORE is the only candidate with a public event today. As for the rest, maybe they're kicking back with a Guinness?
10:15 a.m.–1 p.m. EDT: The House votes. They will then split for the weekend.
12:15 p.m. EDT: President Obama participates in a conference call on Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland's confirmation process.
1:45 p.m. EDT: The Senate will vote on whether to hold online classifieds site Backpage.com in contempt for refusing to respond to a subpoena. Lawmakers are looking into the site in a probe on sex trafficking. They are in session tomorrow, but then will head out for a two-week recess. Spring Break 2016!
10 p.m. EDT: Bernie Sanders holds a town hall in Flagstaff, Ariz.
NOW FOR THE FUN STUFF...
Today is National "Eat Like an Irishman" Day! Festive. I like it.
LOOKING FOR A FUN WAY TO WASTE YOUR TAX RETURN?: Here are some new super soakers that shoot out champagne. Yes, bottles of champagne. They've been the hit of Twitter. http://bit.ly/1QXUVUc
GET SOME BANGERS AND MASH & ERIN GO BRAGH!: For everyone who wants to celebrate St. Patrick's Day after work today (which should mean everyone!), here are a list of Irish celebrations in D.C. today. Specifically, Irish dancers, happy hours and fancy sandwiches. http://wapo.st/1WsKZm7
TARZAN, BACK IN OUR LIVES: A new "Tarzan" trailer has been released for the movie coming out in July. Exciting! http://bzfd.it/1R0Tsve
AGAIN, THIS IS EMBARASSING, AMERICA!: Jimmy Kimmel proved that Americans know very little about the Supreme Court -- and can name more judges from 'America's Got Talent' than judges in the Supreme Court. Sigh. http://ti.me/1TR2rTf
And in the spirit of St. Paddy's Day, here's a 6-month-old who was turned into a leprechaun. The photos are hilarious. http://on.today.com/254v2s6
To view past editions of The Hill's 12:30 Report, click here: http://bit.ly/1M1mIfw
To receive The Hill's 12:30 Report in your inbox, please sign up here: http://bit.ly/1lsUchu