Calif. DA under investigation after offensive posts on Waters, Michelle Obama

Calif. DA under investigation after offensive posts on Waters, Michelle Obama
© Anna Moneymaker

A top gang prosecutor in San Bernardino County, Calif., is reportedly under investigation for a series of offensive social media posts aimed at figures including Rep. Maxine WatersMaxine Moore WatersDem leaders fend off calls to impeach Trump Waters says flag burning outside her office 'overshadowed' peaceful demonstration Maxine Waters defenders gather to counter far-right protest that doesn’t happen: report MORE (D-Calif.) and former first lady Michelle ObamaMichelle LeVaughn Robinson ObamaMichelle Obama joins stars in launch of voter registration push The Hill's Morning Report — Russia furor grips Washington Michelle Obama launches voter registration initiative ahead of midterms: report MORE

The Orange County Register reported on Monday that Deputy District Attorney Michael Selyem, who joined the district attorney’s office 12 years ago, is the target of an internal probe after sharing, and since deleting, offensive social media posts about Mexican immigrants and the victim of a police shooting. The posts have sparked demands for his dismissal. 

ADVERTISEMENT
The Register reports that Selyem posted a doctored image of Obama holding a sign that said “Trump grabbed my penis," and also called Waters a "loud-mouthed c---."

“Being a loud-mouthed c#nt in the ghetto you would think someone would have shot this bitch by now …” he reportedly said in a post. 

The newspaper also reports that Selyem is being investigated for comments he made about a victim of a police shooting. He reportedly said in an argument over the incident that “That shitbag got exactly what he deserved. … You reap what you sow. And by the way go f--- yourself you liberal shitbag.”

The newspaper noted that it is unclear what shooting was being alluded to by Selyem, who is a lead attorney in a unit tasked with cracking down on criminal gang activity. 

Selyem also called out a Budweiser Super Bowl ad earlier this year, saying “I am all for white males immigrating here legally and starting a business."

"It is the terrorist a–holes sneaking in here wanting to kill me an (sic) my family that I am opposed to," he added. "I cannot believe how shallow democrats are. They must really think people are stupid. I guess that is evident because they actually thought Hilary (sic) Clinton could win a presidential election… TWICE!!! LMFAO!!!” 

The District Attorney's office has known about the social media posts since June 25, after someone within the office complained about them.

“We have been made aware of the negative comments and they do not represent the views of the District Attorney’s Office. Since this is a personnel matter I cannot comment any further," outgoing District Attorney Mike Ramos said in a statement. 

The Register reported that before Selyem's posts were deleted, his rants were captured in screenshots that were then sent to Los Angeles accountant Pedro Cala. Cala then forwarded them to public officials and the Southern California News Group.