Potential solicitor general pick withdraws name

A lawyer believed to be on the shortlist for President Trump’s solicitor general has removed himself from the running, Politico reported Thursday

“I am deeply honored by any consideration that I may have received by Attorney General Sessions and President Trump for appointment as the Solicitor General, but I have asked them to discontinue any further consideration of me for that critically important position,” Supreme Court litigator Chuck Cooper said in a statement Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT
His withdrawal could open a window for George Conway, top White House adviser Kellyanne Conway’s husband, who is also believed to be under consideration. 

Kellyanne Conway told Politico earlier this week that her husband is “willing to serve.”  

Cooper said that he doesn’t want to undergo the grueling Senate confirmation process, which he helped Sessions through on his way to attorney general.

“After witnessing the treatment that my friend Jeff SessionsJefferson (Jeff) Beauregard SessionsDeVos grilled on civil rights for students House conservatives introduce resolution calling for second special counsel The Hill's Morning Report — Sponsored by PhRMA — How long can a Trump-DOJ accord survive? MORE, a decent and honorable man who bears only good will and good cheer to everyone he meets, had to endure at the hands of a partisan opposition that will say anything and do anything to advance their political interests, I am unwilling to subject myself, my family, and my friends to such a process,” he said. 

The role of the solicitor general is to represent the federal government before the Supreme Court, and he or she could face the daunting task of defending Trump’s travel ban in the near future. Cooper issued his statement before an appeals court ruled that a restraining order on Trump's executive action should stay in place as litigation proceeds, giving the Trump administration the option to immediately appeal to the Supreme Court.