Secret Service director to retire

Secret Service director to retire
© Getty Images

Secret Service Director Joseph Clancy plans to retire next month, just more than two years after he was brought back to fix the scandal-plagued agency.

Clancy informed his staff this morning that he plans to step down from his post on March 4, a spokesperson confirmed.

"As all of you know, President Trump and his administration have been very supportive of this agency and of me personally which makes this a very difficult decision,” Clancy wrote in a letter to agency personnel, according to USA Today.

Then-President Obama asked Clancy, a former presidential-detail head, to return to the Secret Service in 2014 after a series of security breaches and a prostitution scandal marred its reputation.

"I appreciate Director Clancy's dedicated service to this country,” House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason ChaffetzJason ChaffetzChaffetz: Money 'partly' responsible for decision to leave Congress The Hill's 12:30 Report Chaffetz to join Fox News as a contributor MORE (R-Utah) said in a statement on Tuesday. “He took on the difficult task of returning to and taking over an agency plagued with mismanagement, misconduct, and security lapses.”

ADVERTISEMENT
Chaffetz urged Trump to pick a director from outside the agency.

“A fresh set of eyes and new perspective is needed to restore the prestige and status expected of such an elite agency,” the Utah lawmaker said.

Trump's decision to keep a private security detail during the 2016 campaign reportedly caused friction between the agency and the billionaire.

Trump brought his personal security chief, Keith Schiller, onto his White House staff as director of Oval Office operations.

But Clancy downplayed talk of conflict.

"There is no friction at all" with Trump's security team, Clancy told CNN last month.

Clancy said it is the Secret Service’s ”sole responsibility" to protect the president and the first family and that there was no overlap with Trump's security guards.

The director’s exit was first reported by The Washington Post.