WH adviser Stephen Miller: 'Nothing wrong' with Trump travel order

White House policy adviser Stephen Miller on Tuesday slammed court rulings against President Trump’s temporary ban on refugees and people traveling from seven Muslim-majority nations.

“The rulings from these courts were flawed, erroneous and false,” he said on Fox News’s “The First 100 Days." "Nothing was wrong with the first executive order.”

“The president’s actions were clearly legal and constitutional and consistent with the longstanding tradition of presidents in the past to exercise the authority in the Immigration and Nationality Act to suspend immigration when it poses a threat to our security.”

The rollout of the executive order was criticized for sparking chaos at airports across the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
Miller added the countries affected by Trump’s original order have long presented security threats to the U.S.

“The reality is these seven countries were designated by President Obama and by Congress in 2015 and 2016,” he said.

“Look at the conditions in those countries,” Miller told host Martha MacCallum. "We’ve had dozens of terrorism cases from these countries. Case after case after case.”

“This is an assessment based on the threat these countries pose today and going into the future. The president is acting decisively to protect our country from these threats," he said.

Trump’s initial order last month imposed a 90-day ban on travelers from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. It also froze general refugee admissions in the U.S. for 120 days and indefinitely blocked Syrian refugees.

A federal judge placed a nationwide halt on the order last month as a lawsuit against it proceeds, a ruling later upheld by a three-judge appeals panel. 

The Trump administration is expected to issue a new order this week as the first seems poised to run into continued legal trouble.

Reports emerged Monday that the revised version of Trump’s executive order on immigration will affect the same seven nations as the first edition but may not indefinitely bar Syrian refugees.

The revised order — which is expected later this week — will also reportedly not apply to people who already have a visa to travel to the U.S, those who hold green cards and those who are dual citizens of the U.S. and one of the targeted nations. 

Miller said Tuesday that the new order will have the "same basic policy outcome."