Scaramucci: Reports on threats of legal action against CNN 'overblown'

Scaramucci: Reports on threats of legal action against CNN 'overblown'
© Getty

A Trump ally said early Thursday that reports about his threats of legal action against CNN were "overblown."

Anthony Scaramucci's comments come after CNN last week retracted a story connecting him to a Russian investment fund run by a bank controlled by the Kremlin.

During an interview on "Fox & Friends," Scaramucci was asked about reports he decided to get a lawyer and threatened to sue CNN.

ADVERTISEMENT
"I think all of that ... was exaggerated. I had a couple of conversations with senior staff at CNN," he said. "I made it very clear to them that the story was not accurate and that it was a defamatory story."

Scaramucci said he also reminded the network about his legal background.

"It needed to be retracted, otherwise I think I needed to get more aggressive, but I didn't go to sue them or anything like that," he said.

"I think that got a little bit overblown."

CNN last week retracted the story, which linked Scaramucci to a Russian investment bank.

Three CNN staffers later resigned.

Thomas Frank, the author of the story, Eric Lichtblau, an editor in the CNN investigative unit that ran the story, and Lex Haris, who oversaw the unit, all left CNN, the network reported Monday.

An internal CNN investigation found normal editorial processes weren't followed in the story's editing and publication.

Trump has since chided CNN in several tweets, raising questions about other incorrect stories.

Scaramucci on Thursday also described the Russian investigation as "a bunch of nonsense."