Kushner meeting with Egyptian official back on: report

Kushner meeting with Egyptian official back on: report
© Keren Carrion

A meeting Wednesday including White House senior aide Jared Kushner and Egypt's top diplomat is back on after previous reports it had been canceled.

A reporter from the Associated Press tweeted that Egypt's foreign minister and Kushner would meet after all following an earlier report that the meeting was called off after the United States' move to deny aid to Egypt.

Kushner, who is President Trump's son-in-law, and the U.S. delegation had originally been scheduled to meet with Sameh Shoukry, Egypt's top diplomat.

The U.S. is reportedly set to deny more than $290 million in aid to Egypt over its slow progress on human rights issues after the country's violent coup in 2013.


Sources told Reuters earlier this week that would include an initial denial of $95.7 million and a delay of $195 million.

A statement from the Egyptian Foreign Ministry said Egypt thinks the United States' decision to cut aid is “a misjudgment of the nature of the strategic relations that binds the two countries over decades, and reflects the lack of understanding of the importance of supporting the stability and success of Egypt.”

The American delegation is also scheduled to meet with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi Wednesday.

– Updated at 11:55 a.m. EST