FEATURED:

Trump: Dems moving on from Russia to ‘false accusations’ of sexual harassment

Trump: Dems moving on from Russia to ‘false accusations’ of sexual harassment
© Getty Images

President TrumpDonald John TrumpAccuser says Trump should be afraid of the truth Woman behind pro-Trump Facebook page denies being influenced by Russians Shulkin says he has White House approval to root out 'subversion' at VA MORE in an early morning tweet on Tuesday said Democrats are moving on from the Russia investigation to "false accusations" of sexual harassment.

"Despite thousands of hours wasted and many millions of dollars spent, the Democrats have been unable to show any collusion with Russia - so now they are moving on to the false accusations and fabricated stories of women who I don’t know and/or have never met," he said. "FAKE NEWS!"

Sexual harassment allegations against Trump are back in the spotlight after three of his accusers, Jessica Leeds, Samantha Holvey and Rachel Crooks, during a press conference on Monday recounted alleged harassment by Trump and demanded that Congress open an investigation. Their allegations were first shared during the 2016 presidential campaign.

In a briefing Monday after the Trump accusers' press conference, press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders again defended the president.

“The president has denied any of these allegations,” Sanders told reporters. “And again, the American people knew this and voted for the president, and we feel like we are ready to move forward.”

Dozens of Democratic female lawmakers are also calling on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee to investigate allegations of sexual misconduct against Trump.

Two members of the House of Representatives, former Reps. John ConyersJohn James ConyersSchatz's ignorance of our Anglo-American legal heritage illustrates problem with government Dem consultant resigns in face of sexual misconduct allegation Tillerson announces mandatory sexual harassment training for State Dept. MORE Jr. (D-Mich.) and Trent FranksHarold (Trent) Trent FranksReal-time data insights have become a powerful political tool Tillerson announces mandatory sexual harassment training for State Dept. Dems blast RNC over Steve Wynn sexual misconduct claims: 'This is the party of Donald Trump' MORE (R-Ariz.), resigned last week over sexual misconduct allegations.

Sen. Al FrankenAlan (Al) Stuart FrankenShould the Rob Porter outcome set the standard? Grassley, Dems step up battle over judicial nominees Sen. Gillibrand, eyeing 2020 bid, rankles some Democrats MORE (D-Minn.) last week also announced plans to resign after multiple women came forward claiming he touched them inappropriately.

Trump attorney Ty Cobb hinted in a statement earlier this month that special counsel Robert Mueller was wrapping up his investigation into Russia's election meddling and possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Moscow.

“The conclusion of this phase of the Special Counsel’s work demonstrates again that the Special Counsel is moving with all deliberate speed and clears the way for a prompt and reasonable conclusion,” Cobb said.

His statement came after former national security adviser Michael Flynn pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI as part of a plea deal with authorities.

In October, Trump’s former campaign manager, Paul Manafort, pleaded not guilty to all charges stemming from Mueller's probe.

Manafort's former business associate, Richard Gates, also pleaded not guilty.

George Papadopoulos, a former Trump campaign foreign policy adviser, pleaded guilty to making a false statement to the FBI as part of the investigation.

--Mallory Shelbourne contributed to this report, which was updated at 8:08 a.m.