White House goes on lockdown after car strikes security barrier

White House goes on lockdown after car strikes security barrier
© Getty Images

White House staff were on lockdown Friday afternoon after a car struck a security barrier near the complex.

The Secret Service said a female driver had been apprehended after her car struck — but did not breach — a security barrier at a corner near Pennsylvania Ave.

The alleged driver was later identified as 35-year-old Jessica Ford of La Vergne, Tenn. The Secret Service said she has made previous attempts to enter White House grounds.


The woman "was again charged today with numerous criminal violations and transported to the Metropolitan Police Department," the Secret Service said. 

The Secret Service said no law enforcement personnel were injured in the incident and White House operations have returned to normal.

President TrumpDonald John TrumpScarborough mocks 'Deflection Don' over transgender troop ban Pelosi condemns Trump's 'cowardly, disgusting' ban on transgender troops Trump moves to ban most transgender people from serving in military MORE had just completed a joint press conference with Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull when the incident took place.

"Thank you to the great men and women of the United States @SecretService for a job well done!" he tweeted following the incident.

Updated: 7:45 p.m.