Kelly says he's trying to keep 'below the radar' after Porter scandal

Kelly says he's trying to keep 'below the radar' after Porter scandal
© Getty

White House chief of staff John KellyJohn Francis KellyMORE told The New York Times he’s trying to “keep below the radar” after he faced criticism for his handling of domestic abuse allegations against former White House staff secretary Rob Porter.

“Trying to keep below the radar particularly after the Porter issue and my involvement was so inaccurately covered,” Kelly emailed a Times reporter. 

Kelly declined an interview with the Times for a piece that was published Monday about growing criticism of his tenure as chief of staff.


President TrumpDonald John TrumpScarborough mocks 'Deflection Don' over transgender troop ban Pelosi condemns Trump's 'cowardly, disgusting' ban on transgender troops Trump moves to ban most transgender people from serving in military MORE’s top aide has been under intense scrutiny in recent weeks, particularly following the administration’s handling of Porter’s resignation.

Porter resigned earlier this month after reports emerged that his two ex-wives accused him of domestic abuse. After reports of the abuse were made public, Kelly at first continued to defend him.

Kelly has not explained why he did not cut ties with Porter after the FBI notified the White House months before Porter resigned about the allegations that turned up during his background check.

He later said the matter was "all done right."

The controversy prompted increased speculation that Trump would move to fire Kelly. The president has reportedly expressed frustration with Kelly and some of his initiatives within the White House. 

Reuters reported last week that both Kelly and national security adviser H.R. McMaster could soon leave the White House due to increased tensions with Trump.