Melania Trump ends contract with friend whose firm received millions from inaugural committee

Melania Trump ends contract with friend whose firm received millions from inaugural committee
© Getty Images

First lady Melania TrumpMelania TrumpTrump ambassador pick faced complaints from female workers: report Trump lashes out at 'Fake News Media' over Mueller indictments Sanders rebuffs WaPo on Trump focusing on shooting responders: 'Very misleading' MORE has reportedly terminated a contract with an adviser whose firm received millions of dollars from President TrumpDonald John TrumpAccuser says Trump should be afraid of the truth Woman behind pro-Trump Facebook page denies being influenced by Russians Shulkin says he has White House approval to root out 'subversion' at VA MORE’s inauguration committee.

The first lady’s office ended the contract with Stephanie Winston Wolkoff last week, The New York Times reported Monday. Winston Wolkoff has been friends with Melania Trump for years and had been working for her on a contract basis as an unpaid senior adviser.

The first lady’s spokeswoman told The Times that the office had “severed the gratuitous services contract with Ms. Wolkoff,” who had been working as “a special government employee” on certain projects.


“We thank her for her hard work and wish her all the best,” the spokeswoman said.

The move comes after the Times reported earlier this month that Winston Wolkoff’s event-planning firm received nearly $26 million from President Trump’s inaugural committee.

She also personally received $1.62 million from the committee, according to the Times.

The firm “retained a total of $1.62 million for all of its consulting and creative services, which was divided among our staff of 15 members (including myself),” she said in an email to the newspaper.

The Trumps were reportedly upset by the Times report, and the president was furious that Winston Wolkoff had a close friend, David Monn, help plan events for the inauguration. Monn’s company was paid $3.7 million for the work.

Winston Wolkoff told the Times that the White House informed her “that all gratuitous volunteer contracts were ended” and said she still expected to have a strong relationship with Melania Trump.

“I expect to remain a trusted source for advice and support on an informal basis,” she told the Times.

The former adviser also defended her work on the inauguration and hit the Times report as “completely unfair,” but did not highlight any inaccurate information.

Inauguration committee chairman Tom Barrack had promised to donate any of the record $107 million raised by the committee and not used during the events to charity, but has not yet revealed where those funds have gone.

— This report was updated on Feb. 27 at 7:41 a.m.