Condoleezza Rice on McMaster: ‘I hope he stays’

Condoleezza Rice on McMaster: ‘I hope he stays’
© Getty Images

Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Thursday that she hopes national security adviser H.R. McMaster stays in his role, after it was reported he could leave the administration as soon as next month. 

"He's doing a really fine job ... but I have no idea about his future in that job," Rice told MSNBC "Deadline: White House" anchor Nicole Wallace. "But I hope he stays; he's really good." 

If the three-star Army general departs, he could be replaced by Ford Motors executive Stephen Biegun, according to an NBC News report. Biegun previously served on the National Security Council under Rice in the administration of George W. Bush. 


Rice also praised Biegun as an "outstanding person," and for his expertise in foreign policy. 

"Obviously he'd be very, very good, but let's wait and see because H.R. McMcaster's still in the job and he's doing a really fine job," Rice added.

The White House disputed but did not deny reports of the expected departure by McMaster, who has sparred with the president for months. 

McMaster's departure would add to the long list of officials who have left the White House since Trump's inauguration just over a year ago, including communications director Hope HicksHope Charlotte HicksWhite House race to replace Hope Hicks has two lead contenders Hicks almost left WH months before she announced her resignation: report Kelly tells White House staff no more personnel changes coming MORE, who announced her resignation on Wednesday.