McCabe to sue Trump admin for defamation, wrongful termination

Former Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabeAndrew George McCabeMemos detail FBI’s ‘Hurry the F up pressure’ to probe Trump campaign Memos detail FBI’s ‘Hurry the F up pressure’ to probe Trump campaign Top aide to deputy attorney general plans to step down: report MORE is planning to sue the Trump administration for defamation and wrongful termination, according to multiple media reports Friday.

McCabe’s lawyer Michael Bromwich told reporters that McCabe is also considering filing other civil claims.

He said the legal team hasn’t yet figured out when they’re going to file the lawsuits and is working on making them "solid."

“We’ll file when we’re ready,” Bromwich said, according to Axios.

ADVERTISEMENT

The attorney also announced the launch of a legal defense fund for McCabe, and hopes to transfer the money raised for McCabe's legal costs through a crowdfunding campaign started after his March firing to the official fund. 

Bromwich also accused opponents of McCabe, including President TrumpDonald John TrumpMichelle Wolf in July Fourth salute: 'God bless abortions and God bless America' Graham: Trump's Supreme Court picks 'all winners' Man arrested after allegedly threatening to kill Trump supporters, GOP lawmaker MORE, of "continuing slander."

Attorney General Jeff SessionsJefferson (Jeff) Beauregard SessionsMeet the senator on Trump's Supreme Court shortlist Trump asked Pruitt to resign in message delivered by Kelly: report Tucker Carlson: Dems are 'plotting a coup' using immigration protests MORE fired McCabe last month after an inspector general report found he made an unauthorized disclosure to the media and was not forthcoming with federal investigators.

McCabe denied the allegations and said he was being targeted in an effort to undermine special counsel Robert MuellerRobert Swan MuellerSasse: US should applaud choice of Mueller to lead Russia probe MORE’s probe into Russia's election interference.

Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz released the report last week of McCabe's conduct at the FBI, alleging that he authorized a leak to the press to "advance his personal interests" and he misled investigators about the matter. Trump called the report a "disaster" for McCabe.

Horowitz issued a criminal referral to the U.S. attorney’s office in D.C. on Thursday related to McCabe’s conduct that his attorney called "unjustified."