Holder vows review of DOJ's seizure of journalists' records

Attorney General Eric Holder vowed on Wednesday to conduct a review of the Justice Department’s (DOJ) decision to secretly subpoena phone records from the Associated Press once the investigation is complete.

Under questioning from Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.), Holder said that, given the attention and concern that’s been caused by the subpoenas, he would be willing to conduct an after-action review of the DOJ’s handling of the case.

Republicans wasted no time launching into Holder at the House Judiciary Committee hearing.

ADVERTISEMENT
But Holder repeatedly told Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) that he has recused himself from the national security leaks case and did not know any of the details surrounding it.

Goodlatte pressed Holder on why the scope of the subpoena of the phone records of more than 20 AP employees had been designed to be so broad and whether the DOJ attempted to negotiate with the AP before secretly subpoenaing the phone records.

“I don’t have any interaction with the people involved in the case,” Holder said.


Holder rebuffed calls earlier this week from Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus for him to resign, repeating his lack of involvement with the case.

Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.), the panel’s ranking member, called questions about the AP records “fair” in his opening remarks, and said he plans to re-introduce the Free Flow of Information Act, a measure that would establish a uniform standard for media shield laws.

The White House on Wednesday asked Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) to reintroduce a media shield law amid criticism of the subpoena of Associated Press phone records.

Schumer’s bill would allow media organizations to challenge subpoenas of phone records and offer legal protections for protecting confidential sources.

--This report was originally published at 1:53 p.m. and last updated at 2:36 p.m.