Two injured in shooting at Indiana middle school

Two injured in shooting at Indiana middle school
© WRTV-Indianapolis via CNN

Two people were injured after a gunman opened fire at a middle school in suburban Indianapolis, authorities said Friday. 

Police have not yet publicly identified the alleged shooter, but said the suspect has been taken into custody. 

Vice President Pence, who was previously governor of Indiana, tweeted that he and his wife are "praying for the victims of the terrible shooting in Indiana."

"To everyone in the Noblesville community – you are on our hearts and in our prayers. Thanks for the swift response by Hoosier law enforcement and first responders," he tweeted.

The Associated Press, citing Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Bryant Orem, reported that authorities believe the suspect acted alone.

Authorities said students had been escorted to nearby Noblesville High School, where their families were instructed to pick them up. 

ADVERTISEMENT

The shooting in Indiana came a week after a gunman opened fire at Santa Fe High School near Houston, killing 10 people and injuring another 10. 

The suspect in that shooting was identified as 17-year-old Dimitrios Pagourtzis, a student at the school. He is facing one charge of capital murder and a charge of aggregated assault on a public servant.

--Updated at 11:31 a.m.