Suicide bomber attacks Kabul restaurant

More than a dozen people were killed on Friday when a suicide bomber and two gunmen attacked a restaurant in Kabul popular with officials, foreigners and business people, the Associated Press reports.

Kabul police chief Gen. Mohammad Zahir Zahir said that 14 people — including foreigners and Afghans — had been killed in the attack inside the restaurant, along with the two gunmen, according to the AP.

The attack occurred against a Lebanese restaurant in Kabul’s diplomatic quarter, La Taverna du Liban, where a bomber detonated his explosives either in or near the restaurant.

The two gunmen followed in the attack, and they were eventually killed in a shoot-out with guards that lasted nearly half an hour, according to the AP.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the attack, which he said targeted foreign officials.

"There was a suicide attack on a foreign hotel where special foreign invaders are coming for dinner. In this attack an explosive was used which was very strong and heavy casualties and massive destruction happened," he said, according to AP.

— This story was updated at 3:44 p.m.