Ex-Army specialist suspected as shooter at Sikh temple

A 40-year-old former Army specialist has been identified as the man who opened fire on a Sikh temple in Wisconsin on Sunday, killing six people and wounding three before being killed by local police. 

The suspect, Wade Michael Page, who enlisted in the Army in 1992, served as a weapons maintenance technician and later a psychological operations specialist at Fort Bragg, N.C. before being discharged from the service in 1998. 

During his time in uniform, Page had been disciplined for "patterns of misconduct" and was demoted from sergeant to specialist in 1998 for being drunk while on duty, according to Reuters. He was never deployed overseas during his military career. 

Page also had reportedly established ties to the neo-Nazi movement in North Carolina during his time at Fort Bragg, reportedly becoming a member of the white supremacist heavy metal band "End Apathy," according to recent reports. 

After leaving the Army, the former sergeant also attempted to buy racist propaganda from the The National Alliance, one of the most well-known neo-Nazi organizations in the United States, Reuters reports. 

Page was living in the Milwaukee suburb of Cudahy, several miles away from the Sikh temple in nearby Oak Creek, at the time of the shooting. State and federal law enforcement are treating the attack as a case of domestic terrorism. 

"My Administration will provide whatever support is necessary to the officials who are responding to this tragic shooting and moving forward with an investigation," President Obama said in an official statement Sunday. 

"As we mourn this loss which took place at a house of worship, we are reminded how much our country has been enriched by Sikhs, who are a part of our broader American family," he said.

The Wisconsin attack comes weeks after James Holmes is suspected of opening fire in a crowded movie theater in Aurora, Colo., on July 20, killing 12 during that shooting spree.

In November of 2009, then Army Maj. Nidal Hasan opened fire on a group of American soldiers at Fort Hood, Texas, who were preparing to deploy to Afghanistan. That attack ended with 29 soldiers wounded and 13 dead in what became the deadliest incident of its kind to happen on a U.S. military base.