US European Command bans troops from travel to Brussels

U.S. troops and their families have been banned from traveling to Brussels in their free time until further notice, U.S. European Command said Tuesday.

“As a precautionary measure to keep personnel and families safe in light of the today's attacks, U.S. European Command has implemented travel restrictions to Brussels, Belgium. Specifically, unofficial travel to Brussels (leave, liberty and special pass) is prohibited until further notice,” the command said in a written statement.

Earlier Tuesday, the Belgian capital was hit with coordinated terrorist attacks that killed at least 30 and injured another 200.

European Command previously confirmed that a U.S. service member and his family were among the injured.

The travel ban applies to all military personnel, Defense Department civilian employees, contractors and command-sponsored dependents and family members, according to the statement.

The restrictions do not apply to military personnel assigned to diplomatic posts in Belgium.

Those who need to travel for official business or emergency leave will need to get the approval of the first general officer or flag officer in their chain of command.

"My thoughts and prayers go out to our military family, the people of Brussels and all those impacted by these horrific terror attacks," Commander Gen. Philip Breedlove said in a written statement. "We will assist Belgium in any way our military can — we strongly condemn these attacks and will continue to stand by our NATO allies and partners to defeat these terrorist who threaten our freedoms and our way of life." 

The Pentagon issued a similar travel ban after the terrorist attacks in Paris in November.