Pentagon pushes back against Syria no-fly zone report

The Pentagon statement came after The Daily Beast reported Tuesday that the White House had asked the military to plan for a no-fly zone ahead of Secretary of State John KerryJohn Forbes KerryJohn Kerry’s memoir title revealed GOP senator: Democratic opposition to Pompeo 'driven 100 percent by politics' North Korea is moved by Pompeo diplomacy, but Dems dig in deeper MORE’s trip last week to the Middle East.

ADVERTISEMENT
“The White House is still in contemplation mode but the planning is moving forward and it’s more advanced than it’s ever been,” an unnamed administration official told The Daily Beast.

Pentagon officials have said they are providing a range of options to the White House on Syria that would be ready to be carried out if President Obama decided to move forward with them.

Defense Secretary Chuck HagelCharles (Chuck) Timothy HagelShould Mike Pompeo be confirmed? Intel chief: Federal debt poses 'dire threat' to national security Hagel: Trump is 'an embarrassment' MORE has said the administration is re-considering whether to provide arms to the Syrian opposition, but thus far the Obama administration has resisted calls for further steps, including creating a no-fly zone.