Ex-Afghan president: Trump committed 'atrocity' with massive bomb strike

Ex-Afghan president: Trump committed 'atrocity' with massive bomb strike
© Getty

Afghanistan's previous president said Monday that President Trump “committed an immense atrocity” in allowing the U.S. military to drop one of its most powerful non-nuclear bombs on ISIS tunnels in the country last week.

“My message to President Trump today is that he has committed an immense atrocity against the Afghan people, against fellow human beings,” Hamid Karzai told The Associated Press.

“If the American government sees us as human beings, then they have committed a crime against fellow human beings, but if they treat us as less than human beings, well, of course they can do whatever they want,” Karzai added.

ADVERTISEMENT
The U.S. military on Thursday dropped a Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB) bomb, known as the “mother of all bombs,” on tunnels used by a network of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) in the Achin district of Afghanistan’s Nangarhar province.

Thursday’s strike marked the first time the munition had been used in combat, and was the most powerful bomb used in Afghanistan to date. 

The Afghan and U.S. militaries coordinated for the operation, the president of Afghanistan’s office reportedly said. 

Karzai previously called the bomb "a violation" of Afghanistan's "sovereignty,” and “a disrespect to our soil and environment.”

Trump, meanwhile, called the operation "another successful event.”

The governor of the Achin province in Afghanistan said that at least 90 ISIS fighters were killed in the attack, and no civilians, according to the BBC.