Pacific Command: Testing US forces would be 'foolhardy'

Pacific Command: Testing US forces would be 'foolhardy'
© Getty Images

The top U.S. military commander in the Pacific region is warning America's enemies not to "test" its military readiness after a collision between the USS John S. McCain and an oil tanker off the coast of Japan.

Adm. Harry Harris, head of U.S. Pacific Command (PACOM), said at a news conference on Tuesday that the operational capabilities in the region remain strong despite four collisions between U.S. military vessels and civilian craft this year, according to a CNN report.

"Perception is in the eyes of the beholder, and I will hope that no one will test the U.S. on the perception that we've had a problem with USS John McCainJohn Sidney McCainGOP strategist donates to Alabama Democrat Meghan McCain knocks Bannon: 'Who the hell are you' to criticize Romney? Dems demand Tillerson end State hiring freeze, consult with Congress MORE and three other assets — that would be a very foolhardy thing to do," Harris said. 

The guided missile destroyer USS John S. McCain collided with a Malaysian oil tanker early Monday off the coast of Japan, injuring five sailors and leaving 10 missing. The Navy reported Tuesday that "some" of the remains of the missing sailors from the collision had been found in sealed compartments damaged in the crash. 

ADVERTISEMENT
U.S. forces in the area are on high alert amid growing tensions between the U.S. and North Korea.

Earlier this month, North Korea backed off a threat to fire missiles toward Guam, a U.S. territory, but in a statement warned the U.S. that leader Kim Jong Un could change his mind.

“If the Yankees persist in their extremely dangerous reckless actions on the Korean Peninsula and in its vicinity, testing the restraint of the DPRK [North Korea], the [North] will make an important decision as it already declared,” North Korea's state media said.

Defense Secretary James MattisJames Norman MattisOvernight Defense: Trump recognizes Jerusalem as Israel's capital | Mattis, Tillerson reportedly opposed move | Pentagon admits 2,000 US troops are in Syria | Trump calls on Saudis to 'immediately' lift Yemen blockade Trump has yet to name ambassadors to key nations in Mideast Mattis, Tillerson warned Trump of security concerns in Israel embassy move MORE responded to North Korea's threats by saying that any missile attack would mean "game on."

“If they shoot at the United States, I’m assuming they hit the United States. If they do that, it’s game on,” he said.