Tesla says Model S charger didn't start garage fire

While U.S. regulators review the electric-car maker Tesla for battery-related fires, the company said a charging system in a Southern California garage last month did not cause a fire.

The fire was at the wall socket where the vehicle was plugged in but the car had nothing to do with the fire, Tesla said in an email, Bloomberg reports.

Investigators are still determining whether the fire was started by the wall socket or the charger.

Since three reports of battery-related fires were made public in October and November, Tesla shares have dropped 23 percent.