Ryan vows to cut $100 billion in spending from budget

House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said he still intends to cut $100 billion in spending this year even as time ticks away. 

Ryan, who with other House Republicans has vowed to slash federal spending to fiscal 2008 levels, said the initial estimate of $100 billion in savings has dropped to between $50 billion and $60 billion because of money that has been spent since the fiscal year started Oct. 1.

Several Republicans have said they still want to cut the $100 billion but are finding that time is tight if any changes are to be made before the continuing resolution that keeps the government running expires March 4. 

"So let me just say this. We're going to cut way more than $100 billion when this is all said and done," Ryan told Neil Cavuto Thursday on Fox Business Network.

"So for the rest of this fiscal year, we're going to go back to the '08 level where you think of the same policy, the same number we've always been talking about," Ryan reiterated. 

When it's time to put together the fiscal 2012 budget, "we're going to be cutting," Ryan said. 

So far, those spending cuts are elusive.

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) told NBC's Brian Williams in an interview that aired Thursday night that he didn't have any specific spending cuts in mind. During a short discussion, Boehner told Williams that he didn't consider either the Defense or Homeland Security budgets sacred. 

That led Williams to ask for a specific program right now that the U.S. could do without.

"I don't think I have one off the top of my head," Boehner told Williams. "But there is no part of this government that should be sacred."