By Vicki Needham - 03/01/11 02:00 AM EST
1. Food safety: 15 agencies that implement several federal laws.
2. Defense: Duplication in the purchasing of tactical wheeled vehicles, procurement and medical costs.
3. Economic development: 80 programs spread across several agencies that share goals.
4. Surface transportation: More than 100 programs run by five divisions within the Transportation Department.
5. Energy: Cutting ethanol production programs could save $5.7 billion each year.
6. Government information technology: 24 federal agencies handle IT.
7. Health: The Defense and Veterans Affairs departments are still working separately to update electronic health records.
8. Homelessness: There are more than 20 federal programs dealing with the issue.
9. Teachers: 82 programs and several agencies deal with teacher quality.
10. Job training: 44 employment and training programs.