By Vicki Needham - 05/18/10 10:50 PM EDT
Other legislation she is considering would:
• Allow the Treasury to temporarily provide the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund if claims exceed the $1.6 billion total that would be repaid by a fee on oil companies.
• Increase the $1 billion per incident cap on claims from the trust fund.
• Double the $500 million cap to $1 billion on natural resources damages.
• Establish a bipartisan commission to investigate the cause of the Deepwater Horizon spill and recommend worker safety and environmental laws to "improve domestic energy security."
• Expand research and development of U.S. Coast Guard spill response capability.
• Require Senate confirmation of Mineral Management Service directors.