By Julian Pecquet - 06/16/10 03:47 PM EDT
Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Rep. Lois Capps (D-Calif.) just announced the first allocation of work force funding under the healthcare reform bill.
The breakdown of the $250 million:
• $168 million to expand the number of primary care residency training slots, to produce about 500 additional primary care providers by 2015;
• $32 million to increase the number of physician assistants by 600 by 2015;
• $30 million to increase the number of nurse practitioners by 600;
• $15 million to add 10 new nurse managed health centers, settings in which nurse practitioners provide primary care services and undergo their clinical training;
• $5 million in grants to encourage states to address their healthcare work force needs.
We'll continue reporting this story and post a longer version later, so please check back.