• Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnellMitch McConnellGOP grapples with repeal of popular ObamaCare policy New DNC chairman wastes no time going after Trump Dem 2020 hopefuls lead pack in opposing Trump Cabinet picks MORE (R-Ky.) told "Fox News Sunday" that new tax filing requirements for businesses — created to help pay for healthcare reform — are part of the reason that companies aren't hiring.
"This massive health care bill we passed earlier this year requires every business to send out a 1099 form to the IRS every time they spend more than $600 — a massive paperwork increase," McConnell said. "We're offering that in the Senate as an amendment — let's get rid of that. We need to revisit this healthcare bill, which is the second reason, in addition to this massive tax increase, that business is not expanding.”
• Michelle ObamaMichelle Obama5 ways politics could steal the show at Oscars Why cutting back ‘free’ school lunches would be a favor to families Instagram taps former Michelle Obama, Clinton aide to lead communications MORE calls on Congress to pass a child-nutrition bill this year.
IN THE NEWS
• The Food and Drug Administration is weighing whether to let a Massachusetts company market salmon that's been genetically modified to grow faster. If approved, it would be the first genetically modified animal allowed to be sold as food.
• Rep. Paul RyanPaul RyanTHE MEMO: Trump takes the fight to Congress GOP grapples with repeal of popular ObamaCare policy Ex-Trump adviser: Ryan should be replaced if he can't execute on ObamaCare MORE (Wis.), senior Republican on the House Budget Committee, is actually serious about finding solutions to the entitlement crisis — to the discomfort of GOP leaders who would rather just win elections.
• Some time off does some good for members of the clergy, who suffer obesity, depression and hypertension at higher rates than the rest of the country.
• The Alliance for Health Reform hosts a Capitol Hill event Monday to examine the challenges facing states as they implement the new healthcare reform law.