By Mike Lillis - 08/02/10 12:00 PM EDT
• Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) told "Fox News Sunday" that new tax filing requirements for businesses — created to help pay for healthcare reform — are part of the reason that companies aren't hiring.
"This massive health care bill we passed earlier this year requires every business to send out a 1099 form to the IRS every time they spend more than $600 — a massive paperwork increase," McConnell said. "We're offering that in the Senate as an amendment — let's get rid of that. We need to revisit this healthcare bill, which is the second reason, in addition to this massive tax increase, that business is not expanding.”
• Michelle Obama calls on Congress to pass a child-nutrition bill this year.
IN THE NEWS
• The Food and Drug Administration is weighing whether to let a Massachusetts company market salmon that's been genetically modified to grow faster. If approved, it would be the first genetically modified animal allowed to be sold as food.
• Rep. Paul Ryan (Wis.), senior Republican on the House Budget Committee, is actually serious about finding solutions to the entitlement crisis — to the discomfort of GOP leaders who would rather just win elections.
• Some time off does some good for members of the clergy, who suffer obesity, depression and hypertension at higher rates than the rest of the country.
• The Alliance for Health Reform hosts a Capitol Hill event Monday to examine the challenges facing states as they implement the new healthcare reform law.