By Julian Pecquet - 03/14/11 05:03 PM EDT
This year's recipients are:
• Chicago Antimicrobial Resistance and Infection Prevention Epicenter (includes Cook County Health & Hospital System and Rush University Medical Center);
• Duke University Prevention Epicenter (Duke University);
• Translation Prevention Research Epicenter (Harvard Pilgrim Health Care in Wellesley, Mass.);
• Southeastern Pennsylvania Adult and Pediatric Prevention Epicenter Network (University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia); and
• Washington University and BJC Epi-Center for Prevention of Healthcare Associated Infections (Washington University, St. Louis.)
Some of the innovative solutions being tested include combining bleach and ultraviolet light to clean hospital rooms; new tests that help distinguish patients who need antibiotics from those who don't, as a means of preventing antibiotic-resistant infections; methods that can help doctors anticipate when medical devices being used to treat a patient are on the verge of causing an infection; and treating patients with living microorganisms that are harmless to the patient but compete with harmful germs.