President Obama said Friday he’s confident that the troubled healthcare rollout won’t be the final word on how his signature legislative achievement is remembered.
"I continue to believe and [I'm] absolutely convinced that at the end of the day, people are going to look back at the work we've done to make sure that in this country, you don't go bankrupt when you get sick, that families have that security," the president said in an interview on ABC’s 20/20. "That is going to be a legacy I am extraordinarily proud of."
The administration has scrambled to assemble a “tech surge” with the goal of having the website functioning at 80 percent of its total capacity on Nov. 30, but the avalanche of bad news has provoked Congressional hearings and dragged Obama’s approval rating to new lows.
So far, nobody in the administration has lost their job over the bungled rollout, as the White House has instead focused its energy on fixing the site, rather than accounting for the missteps that led to the present situation.
But the president on Friday said he was looking into how the project could have been so severely mishandled.
"Obviously my most recent concern has been that my website's not working ... and we're evaluating why it is exactly that I didn't know soon enough that [it] wasn't going to work the way it needed to," Obama said. "But my priority now has been to just make sure that it works."
Many lawmakers have called on Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen SebeliusKathleen SebeliusObama's health secretary to be first female president of American University Leaked email: Podesta pushed Tom Steyer for Obama’s Cabinet Romney: Trump victory 'very possible' MORE, to resign. The secretary has so far weathered the demands.