Goodlatte: Government planning to bring more Ebola patients into U.S.

Rep. Bob GoodlatteBob GoodlatteCongressional investigations — not just special counsels — strengthen our democracy How Trump's legal immigration cuts could be a blessing to Dreamers Judiciary Committee Republicans want a second special counsel: report MORE (R-Va.) claims the Obama administration has plans to bring foreign Ebola patients into the United States for treatment.

Goodlatte, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, said he and his staff have received "confidential communications" from within the Obama administration about the effort.

"There’s increasing evidence that they’re making those plans," Goodlatte told Fox News on Monday night.

In a letter to Secretary of State John KerryJohn KerryCongress needs to assert the war power against a dangerous president Sinclair and 'Big Media': The outrage that caused the outrage Tillerson sets a lost State Department on the right course MORE and Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson last week, Goodlatte demanded proof that the administration was not allowing noncitizens to receive Ebola treatment within U.S. borders.

He said Monday that he has not yet received a reply to the letter.

So far, nine Americans infected with Ebola have been brought to the U.S. for treatment. Nearly all have been medical volunteers or missionaries, and one was a journalist.

Dozens of American volunteers continue to treat Ebola patients overseas, while several hundred U.S. military personnel assist with logistics and construction of new faciilties.

The federal government is taking new steps this week to ensure that workers returning from the Ebola-affected region do not carry the virus into the U.S.

"If you are concerned about this problem spreading — and this is a deadly disease that we're even concerned about the great healthcare workers when they come back not spreading — we certainly shouldn't be bringing in the patients," Goodlatte said on "The Kelly File."