Health charities also figured prominently in their giving.
The Obamas donated to seven disease groups last year (full list below), along with the American Red Cross and the Children's National Medical Center, a pediatric hospital in Washington, D.C.
At least two gifts appear to honor the Obamas' late parents.
Multiple sclerosis and ovarian cancer killed Michelle ObamaMichelle ObamaOprah to conduct Michelle Obama's final White House interview Would Aretha Franklin perform at Trump inauguration? ‘Good question.’ White House: Obama has 'no plans' for media career after leaving office MORE's father and President Obama's mother in 1991 and 1995, respectively.
Groups fighting those conditions received $1,000 checks from the Obamas this year.
Overall, the couple's health-related donations amounted to $12,163 in 2012. Their total charitable giving was $150,043, with $103,871 coming from Obama's book.
The tax returns were released Friday.
Health and/or disease groups that received donations from the Obamas in 2012:
- American Cancer Society ($100)
- American Red Cross* ($3,000)
- Children's National Medical Center ($2,063)
- Citizens United for Research in Epilepsy* ($2,000)
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation* ($1,000)
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society ($1,000)
- National AIDS Fund* ($1,000)
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society* ($1,000)
- National Ovarian Cancer Coalition* ($1,000)
*Also received donations last year.
Tags Michelle Obama