Trump admin cancels ObamaCare ads

Trump admin cancels ObamaCare ads
© Getty Images

The Trump administration has canceled any remaining ObamaCare advertising and outreach planned for the final days of the sign-up period, according to Politico.

The move could negatively affect enrollment, given that many people wait until close to the Jan. 31 deadline to sign up.

Politico reported that even ads that have already been paid for have been canceled.

ADVERTISEMENT
The move is an indication that the Trump administration could be seeking ways to undermine the law even before action from Congress to repeal it.

Some Democrats reacted with anger, saying the Trump administration was simply trying to sabotage the law.

“They're deliberately trying to undermine enrollment which was growing,” Topher Spiro, vice president for health policy at the liberal Center for American Progress, wrote on Twitter. “Healthy enrollment would disprove their false claim of a death spiral.”

“With this sabotage, many people lost health care coverage that they would have signed up for,” he added.

Kevin Counihan, a top ObamaCare official under President Obama, said the move could prevent young people from enrolling, setting off damaging effects. 

"The Trump Administration's outrageous decision tonight to sabotage Open Enrollment will mean coverage could cost more next year and insurers could drop out of the Marketplace," he said in a statement. "We know that more young people enroll during the final days of Open Enrollment, but they need to be reminded of the January 31 deadline."

Enrollment for 2017 has so far held steady, not dropping off despite the Republican threat that the law will be repealed.

Figures this month show 8.8 million people have signed up so far, compared to 8.7 million at the same point last year.

Politico reported that emails are also no longer being sent to individuals to remind them to enroll in coverage.

"The federal government has spent more than $60 million promoting the open enrollment period," a spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services told Politico. "HHS has pulled back roughly $5 million of the final placement in an effort to look for efficiencies where they exist."