Obama weighs next steps in South Sudan

President Obama on Sunday said he could take further action as deadly violence continues to rage in South Sudan.

ADVERTISEMENT
In a letter to Congress released by the White House, Obama said 46 additional troops were deployed on Saturday to the area of Bor, South Sudan, to evacuate U.S. citizens and officials. But the mission was aborted as the troops delivered by aircraft came under heavy fire. There are an additional 45 troops at the U.S. Embassy in Juba.

"As I monitor the situation in South Sudan, I may take further action to support the security of U.S. citizens, personnel, and property, including our Embassy, in South Sudan," Obama wrote.

Earlier on Sunday, following a meeting between national security adviser Susan Rice and national security aides and U.S. personnel, Obama was briefed by advisers on events in South Sudan.

The State Department, coordinated with the United Nations, safely evacuated American citizens from Bor on Sunday in another operation.

“So far, we have evacuated approximately 380 U.S. officials and private citizens and approximately 300 citizens of other countries to Nairobi and other locations outside South Sudan on four chartered flights and five military aircraft,” said State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki in a statement on Sunday. “Other U.S. citizens may have left through other means.” 

TEXT OF A LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT TO THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES AND THE PRESIDENT PRO TE...