White House condemns Egypt bombings

The White House said Friday that President Obama had been briefed about a wave of bomb attacks across Cairo targeting police departments.

Press secretary Jay Carney said the U.S. "strongly condemns the terrorist attacks this morning in Cairo" and called for the perpetrators to "be brought to justice." The White House spokesman also urged "all sides to condemn and prevent violence" in the increasing volatile country.

ADVERTISEMENT
"We obviously follow these events very closely," Carney said, adding that the security of Egypt was "something that is of regular concern for us."

According to reports, four bombs targeting police stations across the capital city killed at least six people and wounded scores more.

The blasts suggested a new push by opposition militants, who have escalated violence since the military ouster of Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in July.

Over the weekend, Egyptian voters overwhelmingly approved a ballot initiative to adopt a new constitution, which was seen largely as an effort to legitimize Morsi's departure. New presidential and parliamentary elections are expected in the coming months.