By Mario Trujillo - 06/09/14 05:52 PM EDT
Former Secretary of State Hillary ClintonHillary Rodham ClintonTrump softens rhetoric in pitch to black voters Trump: Democrats are 'the party of slavery' Wasserman Schultz wins primary against Sanders-backed challenger MORE said she has more incentive to run for president in the face of GOP criticism of her handling of the 2012 Benghazi attack.
“Actually, it's more of a reason to run, because I do not believe our great country should be playing minor league ball," Clinton said in an interview with ABC. "We ought to be in the majors. I view this as really apart from — even a diversion from — the hard work that the Congress should be doing about the problems facing our country and the world.”
In the past, Clinton has taken responsibility for the attack as head of the State Department. She again said, “I take responsibility, but I was not making security decisions.”
“I certainly would give anything on earth if this had not happened," she said. "And I certainly would wish that we had made some of the changes that came to our attention to make as a result of the investigation. But I also am clear in my own mind that we had a system and that system, of course, ended with me.”
Clinton said she gave direct instructions to security experts during the attack, but she was not equipped to handle the specifics.
"That's why we hire people who have that expertise,” she said in a previously reported portion of the interview.
Clinton has previously said she sees no reason for the House select committee to peruse another inquiry. Whether she testifies in front of the panel depends on the committee, she said.
Clinton details her time at the State Department, including the Benghazi attack, in her new book Hard Choices, due out Tuesday.