Gaza fighting resumes

A three-day cease-fire in Gaza between Israel and Hamas ended Friday morning, as both sides resumed rocket fire. 

Shortly before the cease-fire was slated to end, Israeli Defense Forces announced two rockets had been fired from Gaza, declaring, "terrorists have violated the cease-fire."

ADVERTISEMENT
Hours later, it said it would begin its own rocket fire, striking "terror sites" in Gaza. It reported more than 18 rockets had been fired from Gaza since the cease-fire officially ended, with most landing in open areas. 

Hamas denied it fired the rockets before the cease-fire ended, according to CNN. Multiple groups are active in the area. 

Two people had been injured in Israel on Friday, according to The Associated Press, while Palestinian officials said a rocket from Israel had hit near a mosque, killing a young child. 

It appeared as through longer-term peace negotiations in Cairo had stalled for the time being. Egypt had negotiated the temporary cease-fire earlier in the week with hopes of hashing out a longer-term agreement. 

About 1,900 Palestinians and 67 Israeli soldiers have died in the monthlong fighting.

Israel told media outlets that Hamas had broken the "fundamental premise" of negotiations, and that it would not negotiate under fire. Hamas has refused to agree to an extended ceasefire but said it wanted to continue negotiations. 

According to reports, Israeli negotiators left Egypt on Friday. 

The United State had pushed for an extension of the cease-fire. A similar deal brokered by the United States quickly fell apart last week. 

"Well, I think we are very concerned that, without an additional ceasefire, there will be more bloodshed on both sides," State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said Thursday, before the cease-fire ended.