An independent review of the State Department’s handling of security at the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya will be presented on Monday, according to a report from CNN.
Sources in the State Department told the network that the review, ordered by Secretary Hillary ClintonHillary Rodham ClintonWith GOP’s healthcare bill on ice, Dems go on offense Trump tweets: 'Trump Russia story is a hoax' Path to 60 narrows for Trump pick MORE, would be delivered tomorrow. Lawmakers will also receive the report from the Independent Advisory Review Board ahead of a Wednesday briefing from retired Ambassador Thomas Pickering, who headed the inquiry.
Lawmakers are also slated to hold a public hearing on Thursday. Clinton, who was scheduled to testify, however, will not appear on Capitol Hill this week after she fainted and suffered a concussion on Saturday. The secretary, who became dehydrated while suffering from the flu, is recovering from home, according to State. Clinton deputies Tom Nides and Bill Burns will testify in her place.
Clinton authorized an independent inquiry into the incident after Republican lawmakers questioned if the Obama administration had ignored earlier threats to the diplomatic compound and had denied requests for heightened security.
The Benghazi controversy also cost U.S Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice a chance at replacing Clinton at State. Rice was widely seen as Obama’s top choice for the nation’s highest diplomatic post, but withdrew her name from consideration last week.
Republicans had sharply criticized Rice for initially claiming that the attack was sparked by a spontaneous protest. While Rice later acknowledged it was a planned terrorist attack, she denied suggestions that the White House had intentionally misled the public in the run-up to the election, insisting her statements were based on then-current intelligence estimates.
GOP lawmakers say that they will continue to pursue their probe into the deadly assault.
House Foreign Affairs Committee chairman Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.) said that she expected Clinton to testify in the future, when she fully recovers from her illness.
“I am sorry to learn of Secretary Clinton’s ill health and I wish her a quick and full recovery," Ros-Lehtinen said in a statement on Saturday. “Although I respect Bill and Tom, we still don’t have information from the Obama administration on what went so tragically wrong in Benghazi that resulted in the deaths of four patriotic Americans.”