The nation's top military leader testified Thursday that while he was “bothered” by the lack of security at the U.S. facility attacked by terrorists in Libya, he never got a request for help from the State Department.
Asked by Sen. John McCainJohn McCainGive Trump the silent treatment Five key moments from Trump's first 100 days Bottom Line MORE (R-Ariz.) if he was aware of the U.S. Embassy's repeated requests for additional security and the deteriorating situation prior to the Sept. 11, 2012, attack, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey said he was “tracking” that information. Former Secretary of State Hillary ClintonHillary Rodham ClintonTrump administration to honor fallen workers Conway: I have 'no idea' who is leading Democratic Party Obama to net 0K for Wall Street speech: report MORE testified last month that the requests for more help were handled by officials under her and she did not see the cables detailing the embassy's concerns.
He did not point fingers.
“I'm not blaming the State Department,” he said. “I'm sure they had their own assessment.”
Four Americans, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens, died in the attack. Thursday's hearing by the Senate Armed Services Committee aimed to determine why the Pentagon failed to respond to the attack, which lasted seven hours.